Tuesday, March 1, 2011

February- NO CABLE TV

So I'm back on the sauce. Thank goodness, only because people were starting their own conspiracy theories as to why I wasn't drinking. Because it couldn't be as simple as I am choosing not to. It had to be because I was either secretly pregnant, or had hit rock bottom, and some terrible event had occurred, scaring me into sobriety. But I stuck to my plan, well for the most part. I made it 26 days, and that 26th day happened to be a Friday, a Friday that was meant to be shared with a cold beer immediately after work. I know, I'm sure I'm dissapointing all of my imaginary blog readers, but I was proud that I made it 26 days!

So onto February. I know, its March 1st, but February was a short month, and March snuck up on me. February was interesting as far as this experiment goes. We just so happened to cancel our cable on or around the last week of January, and I decided it would be an "easy" and simple idea. I say "easy" because if you know me, going without cable is defintely NOT easy. In fact, I would say I would rather go without beer than cable. When I was not drinking, I still could live vicariously thru the "Bad Girls Club" and Snooki. I didn't realize, or maybe I should say I wasn't aware of exactly HOW much TV I watch. Cable TV has been a very close friend to me, well, as long as I can remember. Summer breaks would consist of waking up at 8 and starting the "program". I had my entire day mapped out with tv shows. I remember The Brady Bunch re-runs on TBS were a vital part of the day, even though I knew I wasn't missing anything that hadn't actually happened since 1975, but I was sure there was going to be an episode I had not seen, and would never get the opportunity to see it again. I can still remember when that one Saved By The Bell episode came on that I had, for reals, never seen before. It was the gecko episode :)

We still don't have cable, and I'm not exactly sure when we'll get it back. And notice I didn't put if, because we WILL be getting some sort of cable back. I just couldn't justify $80/month anymore thru Direct(ly out of your wallet)TV. Oh, and if anyone is thinking their bill is getting too high, just call them, tell them you're done and wish to cancel. They want you BAD. They offered me 3 months free cable! So obviously I accepted their offer. That was back in November, and they totally thought I would forget after those 3 months. HA. I showed them. Well kinda. When I called them at the end of the 3 months, I had called 4 days too late, and they had already charged my debit card for the next month......lovely.

We've been watching A LOT of our DVD collection, and utilizing Redbox and Netflix. I think this has made the last month easier. Is that cheating? Or could I have been drinking O'Douls the whole month of January? I know for shiz, that if I had gone cold turkey from my TV set, I would have gone thru withdrawls and bouts of crying. Its just soo entertaining, and I really do actually feel the need to keep up with the kardashians, check in on those Teen Moms, and see what shenanigans Russell is up to on that island!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment