Sunday, March 20, 2011

Carnivores vs Herbivores

Its the morning of March 20th, and I'm still not eating meat. Proud? Surprised? Intrigued? I know I certainly am all of the above.

I've always taken the stand that God made the animals for us to eat, hunt, and enjoy as pets. I believe he also designed our bodies to be able to chew and digest meat. Herbivore dinosaurs had flat teeth designed to grind the plants. They also had cheeks that they could store food in for awhile because they had to be constantly eating to get enough calories. Man, can I relate to that. My source also said that some dinosaurs ate rocks to help grind up some of the fibers in their stomachs. I say my gardenburgers are the rocks of Mesozoic era.

My diet thus far has consisted of the same veggies I was eating before. Asparagus, Cucumbers, Spinach, Carrots, and Brussel sprouts (completely obsessed with, and have been for about 2 years now. Even made an attempt to grow my own last year!). But now instead of pairing that veggie with its main entry, its paired with, well, ranch dressing and cheese.

I recently had a run in with a few thousand maggots. No, I wasn't trying to add more protein in my diet, but now that I think about it, I probably could have topped some bruschetta with em. Anyways, after the maggot incident, I was eating my quinoa and noticed the similarity between the little grain and the little bugs. But I was starving. So what else is there but to use my Charlie Sheen inspired warlock mind tricks to overcome the feeling that I was eating maggots.

I'm for sure, for reals, a carnivore. Unlike February's no cable month (which is still going on) I will be adding red meat and chicken and fish and turkey and bacon and ham and cow BACK INTO MY BELLY come April 1st. We recently went to Grumpy's for dinner, and I'm not kidding, every single menu item contained meat. Except the dinner salad and french fries. So thats precisely what I ate. And I felt really bad about it afterwards. Not in my conscience, but my stomach didn't really appreciate all those fries.

I've been putting a lot of though into what the rest of 2011 has in store for me, because I do plan on continueing this quest of doing or not doing something for 30 days. I've brainstormed with a few people and my mom suggested going without gas for a month. This weekend alone I used a quarter tank. Would that even work? I like to ride my bike, but not to work. I have a look I have to maintain, and a sweaty pitted out dress is not what I have in mind. I've also given thought to no caffeine. As I typed that, I got a little scared. The big difference between the no beer month and no caffeine is that I don't drink two 20 oz cups of beer every single morning. I'm pretty sure that going without that will be my hardest month. So I'm still debating that one. I'm also thinking about wearing the same dress for 30 days. You won't know because I would be accessorizing and camoflauging the heck out of it, but it sounds kinda fun.

A few people have been asking if I gave up meat for Lent. Short answer, sure. Long answer, didn't even know it was that time of year. But giving something up for a whole month does give plenty of opportunities to really think about why I'm doing or not doing something. No alcohol made me realize that I'm not as dependent on it as I thought, but that I still really want it. No cable TV has taught me that I'm saving money and time, but that I still really want it. And not eating meat has made my poop float, and made me realize that I still really want it. Sorry Mom, had to put that in there just because you said not to :)

No comments:

Post a Comment